Thursday, February 21, 2008

South Africa Redux

Yes, its true. I'm back in South Africa, just a couple of months after my last trip in December. Previously, I was in Stellenbosch, near Cape Town. This trip takes me to the other side of the country, to Johannesburg. Joburg, as its known, is kinda of like the "New York City of South Africa". It is a major business and finacial hub for the country. Although, its not generally considered particularly safe to walk around the city at night, that doesn't mean one can't be out - just that one has to pick the right places to be.


The weather has been wonderful during this week. Sunny and warm, but not too hot nor humid. Only one brief shower - although they tell me that last week it rained a lot; this is the rainy season here, so not surprising.


I arrived last Saturday and took it easy the rest of that day. On Sunday, I went to the Johannesburg Zoo. I'll post pictures when I get back home. I know, I'm in Africa and go to a zoo to see wild animals... but, it was much easier and quicker than a safari!


Yesterday evening, I saw a production of Hair Spray, it was wonderful! A large number of folks in the audience were college age; and it was clear that there is no shortage of young gay men in South Africa. Turns out that they were all students from the University of Pretoria - and knew many members of the cast who are recent graduates of University of Pretoria. They were lively and fun, which added to the overall experience. The production was staged in the Lyric Theatre, which is a newly opened venue at the Gold Reef City Casino Hotel, which is where I am staying. It is designed with a theme based around gold rush days. In addition to the casino, there are several restaurants, so its an easy place to stay. Across a footbridge over the street, there is a Theme Park (I'll  walk through there tomorrow) that is also designed like a gold rush town.


Tomorrow afteroon, my co-worker (from South Africa) Stanley and his significant other, Jackie, are taking me to the Lion Park. So, you see, I may yet see some "real" wildlife.


I leave for home on Saturday afternoon, getting back to Albany on Sunday afternoon. I'm ready to be home and to see Dan, Sam & Dusty and our friends. Its been a productive trip for work and interesting/fun, but... I also miss home.


Joburg, South Africa

No comments: